The List

Follow my progress on the spreadsheet HERE.


Sunday, May 1, 2011

Backing up: #50 Taste of Thai (not-Express)


This restaurant is more than a little confusing because Taste of Thai – “the original and only one in Ithaca (no affiliations)”-- and Taste of Thai Express are actually NOT affiliated in any way.  Taste of Thai Express is a totally different restaurant, and isn’t just the take-out portion of Taste of Thai Regular Type.  Taste of Thai-Not-Express takes great pains to assure that you know that, while Taste of Thai Express seems happy with the confusion.  Really, is it that hard to come up with two separate names for Thai food restaurants?  How about, Thai Taste?  Tasty Thai? Thai Tasting?!
Solidly "On the Commons"
Anyway, back to the food.  Suffice it to say that I get a little overexcited when ordering Thai food, especially when I’m somewhere new.  I feel obliged to try all my favorites just in case.  So, two entrees, a pot of tom kha, and $37 later, I walked out of Taste of Thai wondering if I’d found my new Thai standby, and if Carol Gary would let me take out extra loans to fund this new habit.
Like Sticky Rice, Taste of Thai is good, but not really worth how expensive it is for sort of plain Thai food.  It’s okay, but if this weren’t Ithaca, you could get much better Thai for 1/3 the price at a nice little family-owned hole-in-the-wall.  And you wouldn’t have to deal with parking at the Commons.  The tom kha was the best I’d had in Ithaca, but the noodles were….noodley.
After clearing up the confusion over Taste of Thai Express/Not-Express, what it boils down to is that it’s probably not worth knowing the difference.  I’ll probably never go back to the not-express version—not because it was bad, per se, but just because it wasn’t worth the expense and hassle for a similar quality of food to a cheaper, more convenient place.  Welcome to Ithaca.

No comments:

Post a Comment